Outdoor Classroom Day
About this activity
Suitable for all schools and nurseries.
Join the global OutdoorClassroom Day campaign so your pupils can experience the benefits of outdoor learning and play.
Outdoor Classroom Day is an annual event that takes place in May and aims to get as many children as possible outside for at least one lesson in the school day and for playtimes to be celebrated. You can take part as a class or get your whole school involved!
Here are a few ideas for activities you could do with your pupils on the day:
- A treasure hunt with clues based on what your class is currently studying in maths, history or science
- Bioblitz speed hunting – set your pupils the task of finding as many different species of tree/flower/bird in five minutes
- Cairn construction competition – who can build the tallest tower from pebbles?!
You’ll find lots more ideas and free downloadable lesson plans and resources on the Outdoor Classroom Day website.
How to evidence your activity
Add your story to the STARS website. Explain the activity, add photos of your Empty Classroom Day lessons and include feedback from your pupils and colleagues. Also include any lesson plans or promotional materials you used/produced.
This activity counts towards:
How it helps
- Encourages class participation and team work
- Can be linked with curriculum subjects
- Allows children to explore their local environment