The STARS Challenge
About this activity
Suitable for all Secondary School Pupils (KS3-KS5)
The STARS Secondary Challenge is a free programme designed to reduce car usage and to equip young people aged 11 to 18 with the skills and confidence to lead their peers and influence parents in tackling travel issues in their school community. There are 3 core objectives:
- ACTIVE: Raise awareness of the environmental, health and wellbeing benefits of Active Travel and encourage more students to walk, scoot or cycle.
- RESPONSIBLE: Encourage responsible and respectful use of the transport network.
- SAFE: Increase awareness of safety when travelling around London.
The STARS Challenge is an ideal opportunity for any student wishing to increase their confidence and gain experience of presenting as part of a small supportive group of their peers. We recommend a group of 6 – 12 students which can be from any year group in the school and can sometimes work well as a mixed age group.
The STARS Challenge can fit well into the agenda of Eco Clubs, Green Societies and School Councils. However, it can also be ideal for students who have not had an opportunity to shine in other areas of their school life.
This is a free programme to all participating Secondary Schools.
This activity counts towards:
- Travel activity
How it helps
- A healthier school community and lower car use
- Increased awareness of safety when travelling
- STARS recognition for all participating schools
- Recognition for students: Bronze Certificate(SSAT)