Brighten your bag
About this activity
Suitable for primary schools. Supports the Art and Design National Curriculum.
Brighten your bag is a creative activity that makes pupils more visible, and therefore safer, during the darker winter months. By decorating their bags with reflective materials pupils can be seen more clearly by pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers on their journeys to and from school.
The activity can be run as part of a classroom activity or as a competition.
To help promote the activity, you can use Croydon Council's tagline; ‘Be safe, be seen, BE BRIGHT’.
What you’ll need
- Bags: Make sure parents/carers know about the activity so they can send their children to school with a bag they are happy for them to decorate
- Materials: Use anything reflective and bright that will make the bags stand out
- Fun prizes: If you choose to run this activity as a competition, speak to your borough officer to see if there are any funding options or to the head teacher about a budget
Activity contributed by LB Croydon.
Thank you to St Mary's Catholic School in Croydon for contributing the inspirational images.
This activity supports the Vision Zero target to eliminate death and serious injuries on London’s streets.
This activity counts towards:
- Travel activity
How it helps
- Supports the Art and Design National Curriculum
- Encourages safe interaction with other road user
- Uses creativity to support road safety messages