Comic strip competition
About this activity
Suitable for Key Stage 2 and 3 pupils.
Launch a comic strip competition at your school to strengthen road safety messages in a creative and educational way. Ask pupils to share their school journey using the comic strip compeition application form, focusing on how they stay safe and how they could make their journey even safer.
You can run the competition on a class- or school-wide basis. It can also be launched to coincide with October’s International Walking Month or November's Road Safety Week.
Celebrate the winner and their creations by announcing their names in assembly and feature them in your school's newsletter or on your website.
What you'll need
- Comic strip competition application forms
- Prizes or certificate (if appropriate)
How to evidence your activity
- Involve your borough officer: Share your ideas, agree your targets and discuss any challenges you face
- Record the feedback from your pupils. Note how they engaged with the competition, the themes, issues and challenges raised and how you will address them (you can discuss ideas with your borough officer)
- Add your story to the STARS website. Explain your activity and include your pupils’ feedback and photos of the winning entries. Also include any promotional materials you produced to support the competition
Activity contributed by London Borough of Hillingdon.
This activity supports the Vision Zero target to eliminate death and serious injuries on London’s streets.
This activity counts towards:
- Travel activity
How it helps
- Introduces key road safety messages
- A creative and educational activity