Pool bikes and scooters scheme
About this activity
Suitable for primary and secondary schools.
A pool scheme allows pupils who do not have access to their own bike or scooter a chance to get involved in activities such as Bikeabillity training, biking at break and bike maintenance skills sessions.
Running the scheme
You can use the pool bikes and scooters in a variety of ways. For example, keep them for on-site activities only, or set up a loan scheme allowing pupils to take the bikes and scooters off school premises for a week or over the weekend. You will need to organise a booking system to keep track of where the equipment is and how it’s being used.
To fund the pool bikes and scooters scheme and storage space you can either use your school’s own funding streams, or speak with your borough officer about TfL funding.
How to evidence your activity
- Involve your borough officer: Share your ideas, agree your targets and discuss any challenges you face
- Record the feedback from your pupils. Note how they are using the equipment, any new initiatives you are now offering and how this has helped you meet your targets
- Sign in to STARS to add your story. Explain how you use the pool bikes and scooters and include photos and your pupils’ feedback on the new scheme. Also include any risk assessments, consent forms and bike log documents you have used
Activity contributed to by Sustrans.
This activity counts towards:
- Travel activity
How it helps
- Improves accessibility to active travel activities
- Supports other cycling and scooting initiatives