About this activity
Suitable for the whole school community.
Bike Week is an annual opportunity to promote cycling at your school. Add your event to the official website so that the local community can find out about what you’re doing and get involved, too. The kind of activity you run during this week is up to you, so long as it encourages safe, sustainable cycling.
Most Bike Week events take place within the official event week in June. However, you can register events on the site all year round.
Here are some ideas for events your school could register for Bike Week:
- Sponsored cycle-to-school week: Work with your Junior or Youth Travel Ambassadors (JTA/YTA) to set up a sponsored event
- Bikers' breakfast: Reward cyclist with a healthy breakfast
- Dr Bike: Work with your local bike shop or bike recycling centre to provide a bike health check session at your school
- Cycling trip: Organise a biking excursion with your cycle club, class or at the weekend with your pupils and their families
Work with your JTA/YTA and school travel working group to decide on and plan activities for during the week.
Find out more on the Bike Week website.
How to evidence your activity
- Involve your borough officer: Share your ideas, agree your targets and discuss any challenges you face
- Record the feedback from your staff and pupils. Note how many events you have held and how many people have taken part
- Add your story to the STARS website. Explain your activity, add photos of Bike Week and include any promotional materials you have used
This activity counts towards:
- Travel activity
How it helps
- Gateway to other cycling initiatives
- Encourages daily active travel
- Promotes positive travel behaviours