Teen Awareness Road Safety Campaign
About this activity
Suitable for secondary school pupils aged 11-14.
(Please note: your secondary school should have received its own Teen Awareness Road Safety Campaign resource pack including two full size posters in October.)
The Teen Awareness Road Safety Campaign aims to educate and inform teenagers about road safety and help them to become more aware of their street environment.
The free campaign material pack your school receives will help you run the campaign. It includes an assembly presentation and guide, interactive videos, lesson plans and worksheets.
The interactive assembly is prepared for you alongside a guide which provides instructions, script and presenter notes.
There are three lesson plans each containing supporting worksheets and further extension activities which focus on the following areas:
- Understanding our surroundings to help make safer choices
- Safer crossing places and how to plan a journey
- The risk of distractions to our safety and understanding consequences
You can run the campaign at any point during the school calendar but it works well when launched alongside the annual Road Safety Week (November).
Work with your school travel working group to promote the campaign.
What you’ll need:
- The Teen Awareness Road Safety Campaign resource
- A PC, laptop or an interactive whiteboard for the assembly and lesson plan three
How to evidence your activity
- Involve your borough officer: Share your ideas, agree your objectives and discuss any challenges you face
- Record the feedback from your pupils. Note how they engaged with the assembly and lessons, which key messages they took away and how this has helped to raise their awareness of road safety
- Sign in to STARS to add your story. Explain the activity, include your pupils’ feedback and any photographs of pupils engaging with the assembly and in class
This activity supports the Vision Zero target to eliminate death and serious injuries on London’s streets.
This activity counts towards:
- Travel activity
How it helps
- Encourages safe independent decision making
- Encourages road safety and awareness