Other sources of funds for travel activities
About this activity
While many active travel initiatives are free or cheap to set up and run, some will require extra funds for equipment, facilities or resources.
If you have an activity or scheme that requires funding, speak to your borough officer to find out whether they know of new or existing funding sources available to you.
You can seek funding both within your school and from external sources.
Below are some ideas for sourcing funding contributed by current STARS schools.
Please note: The list provided is for information only. Links were correct at the time of publishing. Any application for funding will be subject to the terms and conditions of the provider and TfL shall have no responsibility for your application, the decision or outcome of any application for funding to any of the providers listed. Any request for funding is made entirely at your discretion and if you have any questions you should seek your own legal advice.
Ideas for gaining internal funding
- Parent-led fundraising
- Sponsored events – either paid participation or local sponsorship
- School alumni
Ideas for gaining external funding
Retailers and local companies:
- Sainsbury’s community grants or Active Kids vouchers to purchase equipment
- Tesco supporting local communities or Tesco Bags of Help scheme
- Talk to your local supermarket about the 5p a bag charge scheme and their plans for donating this money
- Approach local businesses such as bike shops - ask how they promote their services to the local community and whether you can work together
- Contact your local ward councillor who may have funds available for small projects
- Talk to a local construction firm to see if they can contribute hi-vis jackets
If you have any other examples of funding sources which may benefit London schools please email [email protected]
How to evidence your activity
- Involve your borough officer: Share your ideas, agree your targets and discuss any challenges you face
- Keep a record of how you made your funding request and how the money received will support your active travel targets
- Sign in to STARS to add your story. Explain your activity and include your funding proposal, if you produced one. Also include any risk assessment documents