Working with local charities
About this activity
Suitable for all nurseries and schools.
Work with a local charity, community group or non-governmental organisation (NGO) to promote safe sustainable travel within the wider school community. This can help to highlight your school’s work towards STARS accreditation and build relationships within the local community. Some groups may be able to offer resources to support you on your STARS journey.
Some charities you could look into partnering with include Sustrans, Living Streets, Brake, Cycling UK, British Cycling, Sports Relief and Change4Life. Do some research to find out what other relevant organisations are local to your school and whether you have any existing connections.
Ideas for working with a charity, community group or NGO:
- Organise a litter pick with a local community group or neighbourhood watch for the area around your school
- Hold a sponsored cycling or walking event to raise money for a local charity
- Work with an arts charity to design a sustainable transport themed mural for a wall at your school or in a public area within its community
How to evidence your activity
- Record feedback from your pupils and staff
- Log in to STARS to add your story. Explain your activity and include any communications with your partners, publicity materials and images of partnership events
This activity counts towards:
How it helps
- Promotes positive travel behaviours
- Encourages an interest in the wider community