Promote responsible behaviour on public transport
About this activity
Suitable for primary and secondary school pupils.
Promote responsible behaviour on public transport to ensure pupils can travel safely to and from school and on school trips. Discuss how to be considerate towards members of the public, bus drivers and station staff when travelling, and how to form positive relationships to make travel a better experience for everyone.
To support this work, ensure that travelling to and from school is covered in your school behaviour policy, if you have one. You could also create a school travel code of conduct to clarify what you expect from pupils when travelling on public transport. Work with your Junior or Youth Travel Ambassadors (JTA/YTA) to decide the best way to promote this at your school.
Many of your pupils will have a Zip Oyster Card - remind them that when they sign up for this they are also signing up to TfL’s Young Person's Behaviour Code which exists to ensure they travel safely and show respect for others. Pupils must follow this code or risk losing their travel concessions or Zip Oyster photocard.
How to evidence your activity
- Involve your borough officer: Share your ideas, agree your objectives and discuss any challenges you face
- Record feedback from your pupils and the wider school community
- Sign in to STARS to add your story. Explain the activity, add photos, include promotional materials you produced, your code of conduct and any feedback received
This activity counts towards:
- Travel activity
How it helps
- Promotes positive travel behaviours
- Encourages whole school participation