School travel working group
About this activity
Suitable for all schools and nurseries.
A school travel working group is a cross section of the school community that regularly comes together to discuss, coordinate and implement active, safe and independent travel activities.
Establish a group at your school as an effective way to keep active travel high on your school’s agenda.
Please note, a working group that includes pupils is essential for you to gain Silver and Gold STARS accreditation.
The group can also:
- Give a cross-school community perspective on travel issues
- Allow you to share your STARS accreditation work load
- Help to drive STARS forward
How to run the group
Involve a cross section of the school community in the group including pupils, members of your senior management team (SMT), teachers, parents, governors and your borough officer.
Find out how other schools have successfully set up their working groups in the STARS Building a working group document.
If you have a Junior or Youth Travel Ambassador (JTA/YTA) group, a school council or an eco group, these could also fulfil the role of a school travel working group.
Once you have formed your group or at the beginning of each term you could run team building activities to get to know one another and how you work as a team. You can use the Team Bus or Wheel of Success activities to look at what makes a 'dream team' and highlight the factors that will make your STARS work a success.
Speak to your borough officer for support in getting your group started and maintaining momentum. Make sure you invite them to join the group!
What you need
- Volunteer travel champions from across the school community to become a part of your group
- Buy-in from your SMT
- A location for your meetings
- Assign roles
How to evidence your activity
- Involve your borough officer: Share your ideas and discuss any challenges you face
- Record progress and items delivered by your group. Note the group’s activity and how it has helped you meet your STARS targets and note down their feedback
- Sign in to STARS to add your story. Explain how your group is run, your members' feedback and photographs from your meetings. Also include meeting minutes and actions
- Note: If pupils are unable to participate in the working group, please demonstrate you have a variety of representatives who are part of the group such as teachers, parents governors and SMT
This activity counts towards:
How it helps
- Encourages community involvement
- Supports all STARS travel activities
- Promotes active travel at leadership level