Pre-transition in-school presentation
About this activity
Suitable for Year 6 pupils. Supports the PSHE and Citizenship National Curriculum.
Depending on your borough, you will either be offered an in-school presentation or invited to an external Junior Citizenship Scheme (JCS) half-day event. In both cases the TfL STARS Safety and Citizenship team will contact you directly.
Presentations are free for all schools. They typically last one hour and are for the whole of Year 6 as a group. Sessions focus on the following topics:
- Journey planning
- Active travel choices (such as cycling and walking)
- Using different modes of transport in London
- Ticketing (including the Zip Oyster photocards)
- Getting help
- Showing respect for members of staff and other passengers
- What to do in an emergency
- Awareness of possible dangers and personal safety
The STARS Safer Journey Planner and Activity Booklet linked to in the resources can be used to extend and reinforce the messages from the session.
Watch a transition presentation in action.
Presentations can be adapted for SEND schools with pupils who wish to travel more independently.
This activity supports the Vision Zero target to eliminate death and serious injuries on London’s streets.
This activity counts towards:
- Travel activity
How it helps
- Supports the PSHE National Curriculum
- Encourages independent travel
- Promotes positive travel behaviours