Walk About, Talk About
About this activity
Suitable for pre-school and reception-aged children and their parents/carers.
Walk About, Talk About is a multimedia DVD resource which includes six short films hosted by a road safety expert.
The films take children on different journeys to highlight safer ways to travel covering crossing the road, safer crossing places, travelling safely, safer journeys and journey planning. They are accompanied by a PDF teachers' guide and five fun activity sheets to complete in nursery or with parents/carers at home.
Speak to your borough officer to order the most suitable resources and ways to deliver the activity.
How to evidence your activity
- Involve your borough officer: Share your ideas, agree your targets and discuss any challenges you face
- Record the feedback from your pupils. Note how they have used the resources and how this has helped you meet your targets
- Sign in to STARS to add your story. Explain the activity, add photos and include your pupils’ feedback
Ask your class
Ask your class what they know about road safety
Set your targets
Share your class' response with your senior leadership and borough officer and set your new road safety targets together
Share the road safety message
Share the Walk About, Talk About road safety messages at story time and during assembly
Let parents/carers know about the road safety messages so they can continue the stories at home
Spread the word
Invite your class to share what they've learnt through a play or assembly with the whole school
Check for success
Ask your class again about what they know about road safety to see what they have learnt
Tell your story
Feedback to your borough officer and add your story to the STARS website
This activity counts towards:
How it helps
- Supports EYFS curriculum
- Encourages active travel
- Introduces key road safety messages
- Encourages parental involvement
Useful links, templates and case studies to support this activity